Thursday, October 28, 2004

John Peel R.I.P
Like many I though that John Peel would live for ever. He is one of the few 'broadcasting legends' that I believed in. Throughout the six years that I listened to his shows on Radio 1 and 4, he demonstrated that age need not dictate behaviour, that passion for what you love never dies.
It's difficult to recall specific memories from his shows. The few things that come back to mind seem insignificant at first sight but then quickly gain relevance. For example, the 'Most Deserted Ordinance Survey Grid Reference' feature he ran on his Radio 4 show 'Home Truths'.
That was his true talent, finding wealth where others had only seen barren land, his ability to what the French call 'dénicher'. I had this dream once that I was going to the sea shore mussel-picking with John Peel, I think that really sums up what his shows were for me.
Another memory, soon after discovering his show, I remember Stereolab playing live at Maida Vale, Hefner in session and the Cuban Boys winning the Festive 50 (if my memory serves me right). More things come to mind, his memorable mistakes, it would have been a rare show if John hadn't managed to play some Belgian hardcore at the wrong speed, bless. His voice too, it had a grumpy texture but ultimately it flowed soothingly; whatever troubles I may have had I know that John would always cheer me up.
"...This one starts quietly...". John Peel (1939 - 2004)

No comments: